####Check it out: HN Sentiment #####Web application that allows users to analyze the sentiment of the Hacker News community towards a particular topic
I completed this project over a few days of my Christmas ‘13 holidays for the Iron.io hackathon (where it placed 2nd). The intent is to generalize the way the entire Hacker News community feels towards a particular topic based on the sentiment in their comments on a post containing the searched keyword.
<object data=http://hn-sentiment.herokuapp.com width=”100%” height=”550px”> <embed src=http://hn-sentiment.herokuapp.com width=”100%” height=”500px”> </embed> http://hn-sentiment.herokuapp.com </object>
The project is written in CoffeeScript on NodeJS using the Express framework. How it functions:
- The application generates http requests for the 10 (number in flux) most recent posts with the entered keyword in either their content or title.
- The content is then parsed to determine the original text and, more importantly, all of the comments.
- The app then aggregates title, content, and all of the comments of the post and analyzes them for any sentiment using the AFINN-111 wordlist to determine an integer value for the desired topic.
- The number discovered is then normalized by the number of posts found with comments then returned and displayed to the client.
In my next iteration I will be:
- Work on better caching (right now have fairly basic cacheing, which on Heroku gets dumped every time the repo sleeps).
- Track down any bottlenecks or bugs
Send me an email with any suggestions!!